The main entrance is from the west, but there are also two other entrances from the east and from the south. The majestic main gateway completed in 1648, is a large three-floored red sandstone structure, 50ft wide and 100ft high with an octagonal central chamber and a vaulted roof, with smaller rooms on each side. The gateway consists of a lofty central arch with doubles storied wings on either side. Above the central portal in the north and south side, there is a series of 11 attached chattiris (umbrellas) with marble cupolas, flanked by pinnacles. The walls are inscribed with verses from the Quran in Arabic and are done in black calligraphy.
A fine feature of the gateway is that the lettering appears to be the same size from top to bottom. This was done by heightening the letters as the distance from the eye increased. The small domed pavilions on top are Hindu in style and looks regal. The gate was originally lined with silver, now replaced with copper and decorated with 1,000 nails whose heads were contemporary silver coins